You work hard to earn money to support you and your family.
Unfortunately, if you are injured or become disabled and are no longer able to bring a paycheck home, you need help.
Social Security Disability may be available to you. We know how the claims process works, and our attorneys are here to help.
Under the Social Security Act, “disability” means “inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment which can be expected to result in death or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.”
There are at least five major types of Social Security disability benefits.
- Disability Insurance Benefits goes to individuals who have worked in recent years (five out of the last 10 years in most cases) who are now disabled.
- Disabled Widow’s and Widower’s Benefits are paid to individuals who are at least 50 and become disabled within a certain amount of time after the death of their husband or wife. The late husband or wife must have worked enough under Social Security to be insured.
- Disabled Adult Child Benefits go to the children of persons who are deceased or who are drawing Social Security disability or retirement benefits. The child must have become disabled before age 22. For Disability Insurance Benefits, Disabled Widow’s or Widower’s Benefits and Disabled Adult Child benefits, it does not matter whether the disabled individual is rich or poor. Benefits are paid based upon a Social Security earnings record.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, however, are paid to individuals who are poor and who are disabled. It does not matter for SSI whether an individual has worked in the past or not.
- SSI child’s disability benefits are a variety of SSI benefits paid to children under the age of 18 who are disabled.
- Physically go to the Shreveport location of the Social Security Association office located at 1240 South Pointe Parkway, Shreveport, La. 71105
- Go online to www.ssa.gov and apply
- Or call 1-877-319-3074 and set up a time for someone to call and assist in preparing an application over the phone
How do I apply for Social Security disability benefits?
An Individual wanting to apply for SSDI or SSI can do so by doing one of the following:
Download the forms and have your lawyer help you fill them out before filing!
To apply, you will need the following information:
- Your full name, address, date of birth and social security number.
- A list of all your medical providers, with their addresses and phone numbers. This would include all medical providers used within the past ten (10) years.
- A list of all medications you are currently taking. Your pharmacy can give you a printout.
- A list of all employers, job descriptions, dates employed during the last fifteen (15) years.
- The names, ages, dates of birth and social security numbers of your spouse and children.
Are you eligible?
If a person is in doubt of which benefits to apply for, they should apply for all benefits – including SSDI/Medicare and SSI/NMedicaid.
The Social Security Administration will consider many questions when reviewing your application:
- Are you working?
- Is your condition severe?
- Is your condition disabling?
- Can you do the work you did before?
- Can you do any other work
- How long will you not be able to work?